Code Enforcement Office - 607.739.7605

I am moving my business to a new location in the Town of Horseheads. What approvals do I need from the Town of Horseheads? In some cases the business needs to have site plan review from the Planning Board. In other cases a Building Permit will be required and a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued. All new businesses will require a fire inspection before opening.

Does the Town of Horseheads conduct Fire Inspections in commercial buildings?
Yes, all commercial buildings are inspected every three years and all places of assembly every year.

Are Carbon Monoxide Alarms required in all dwelling units and commercial buildings?
Yes, all dwelling units are required to have a carbon monoxide alarm and by June 2016 all commercial buildings must have carbon monoxide alarm installed.

Do I need a Building Permit for re roofing and shingle replacement?

All reroofing including shingle layover must have building permits.

Can open flame cooking devices, such as LPG-fueled grills and charcoal burners be used on balconies or decks in apartment buildings?

No, cannot be used on combustible balconies or decks. Cylinders greater than 21/2 lb. cannot be stored on balconies. All cooking must be at least 10 feet from building.

Are smoke detectors required in existing residential buildings?
Yes, The Property Maintenance code of New York State requires smoke detectors at all of the following locations:
-On each ceiling or wall outside each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of bedrooms.
- In each room used for sleeping purposes.
- In each story within a dwelling unit, including basements and cellars but not including crawl spaces and unoccupied attics.

Can I place a temporary sign in front of my business?
Yes, but by permit only and not for more than 30 consecutive days in any calendar year.

Can I place a mobile home or double wide trailer in the town?
Yes, but only in a mobile home park.

Can I conduct door to door sales?
Yes, with permit that is issued by Town Clerk.

Can I have an unlicensed vehicle on my property?
No, must be licensed, registered and operable. Cannot be tarped but can be stored inside a garage without proper license.

Are there standards for premises identification?
Yes, buildings shall have approved address numbers placed in a position to be plainly legible and visible from the street or road fronting the property. These numbers shall contrast with their background. Address numbers shall be Arabic numbers or alphabetic numbers. Numbers shall be a minimum of 4 inches high with a minimum stroke width of 0.5 inch.

Can I erect an open sided canopy on my property?
Tents and membrane structures having an area in excess of 200 square feet and canopies in excess of 400 square feet shall not be erected, operated or maintained for any purpose without approval from code enforcement office.

1. Tents exclusively used for recreational camping purpose.
2. Fabric canopies and awnings open on all sides with a maximum size of 700 square feet, multiple canopies adding up to 700 square feet without fire breaks of 12 feet to all structures, a minimum of 12 feet to all structures and tents

All tents and canopies cannot be erected for more than 180 days in a 12 month period.

Can I have a camp fire?
Bonfires and recreational fires are regulated by the Fire Code of New York State. A recreational or bonfire cannot be more than 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height. Any open fire that will be offensive or objectionable due to smoke or odor emissions when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous shall be prohibited.

Is open burning allowed?
NO, there is no open burning in the Town and Village of Horseheads. This also includes burning in a rubbish barrel.

What Is Zoning?
Zoning regulates the use of land within its boundaries. The zoning regulations have different zoning districts with each district having different permitted uses and requirements. The purpose is to:
- Promote the health, safety and general welfare of the community
- Reduce congestion on the streets and highways
- Ensure safety from fire, panic and other dangers
- Provide adequate light and air
- Prevent overcrowding of land and avoid undue concentration of population
- Establish zones wherein regulations concerning the land and structures, the density of development, the size of yards, the percentage of lots that may be occupied and the provisions of parking will be set forth to encourage the most appropriate development

When Do I NOT Need A Permit?
- Siding
- Replacement windows
- Non structural necessary repairs
- Fences that meet zoning requirements
Commercial - Check with office at 607.739-7605

When Do I Need A Permit?
New York State and Town of Horseheads laws mandate when a permit is required. The following is to use as a guideline.
- New construction of homes, garages and carports
- Addition and alterations of buildings
- Storage buildings 120square feet and over, including prefabricated buildings
delivered to site
- Decks and porches
- Enclosing porches, decks
- Extending roofs over decks and porches
- Rebuilding and structural renovations
- Swimming pools above and inground including decks around pools - Installation of woodstoves, fireplaces and chimneys
- Demolition and removal of buildings
- New construction
- Most improvements, alterations, enlargements, repairs and change of tenants
- Signs, including temporary signs
- Change of Occupancy

How do I apply for a job with the town?
You can send an application to:
Town of Horseheads
150 Wygant Road
Horseheads, NY 14845
or call (607) 739-8783 to see if there is any opening. Some of the jobs require you to take a Civil Service Test. You can check Chumeng County Civil Service Examination Calendar for more information. (

Website Accessibility Statement

Town of Horseheads,150 Wygant Road
Horseheads, NY 14845 MAP
staff area | disclaimer |

Home Contact Search Link