- Code Enforcement & Building Permits
- Solar Installations
Permitting process for Photovolectric systems under 12kW
A Building Permit is required for the construction, alteration, moving, repair, modification, demolition, in whole or in part, or the change of use of any building or structure. The Town will fast-track standard residential solar installation applications that meet code and safety requirements.
The following instructions outline the procedures and requirements for obtaining a permit to install Photo-Voltaic (PV) array solar panels for systems sized 12kW or less:
- Please review filing Instructions for Building Permits for general requirements.
- Two completed solar energy systems Fast Track Solar applications. (Can be found on the form page of the website)
- Two sets of plans indicating the location of panels must be submitted
- An electrical inspection is required by a third-party agency. Agencies are listed on the website or on the back of the Building Permit card.
- A Certificate of Workers Compensation (Use form C-105.2, U-26.3 as applicable or CE-200).
- Proof of Liability Insurance
- For ground-mounted systems, a site plan, preferably a survey map showing the location of the system.
- Design a professional letter stating the roof system can handle the proposed load.
- Requirements of the New York State Building Code, Fire Code, and Town Zoning Code must also be met.
- Building permit fee of $75.
- The application can be faxed, mailed, or emailed to the office. However, the responsible party homeowner or installer must sign for Building Permit once it is issued.
We will provide feedback within seven days of receiving an incomplete application and for complete applications, we will issue within fourteen days of receipt. In most instances, we will try to issue permits before a maximum fourteen-day period.