Changes to STAR Exemption
Important Information Regarding Changes to the STAR Exemption
NYS froze the STAR exemptions at the 2019 value. This includes both STAR BASIC and ENHANCED STAR. NYS did this to encourage property owners with STAR exemptions to switch to receiving a check instead of a reduction on their school tax bill. The NYS STAR checks may increase 2% per year as school budgets increase but the exemption will remain frozen at the 2019 value.
In order to maximize your STAR benefit, you need to change to receive your STAR rebate in check form. To register for the STAR rebate in check form, have the following information available and follow the following instructions:
- 2020 Tax Bill
- Social Security numbers for all property owners
- Birthdates for all property owners
- 2019 Income tax statement (1040 or 1099)
Once you have all the required information, access the STAR registration link.
Instructions for Registering to Receive Your STAR Exemption in the Form of a Check
- You will be asked to retype the numbers on the screen and then select continue. Scroll down and select â€œRegister for Starâ€.
- Answer the question â€œIs the property part of a mobile home park or co-op building?â€
- Note: Horseheads does not have co-op properties.
- Select â€œNoâ€ for â€œDo you have a property key?â€. Answer all questions then select Continue.
- Fill in property information and select Search.
- Scroll down, select your property, select the circle to select your property then select Continue.
- Finish answering all questions (remember to scroll down on each screen to be sure all questions have been answered).
- Once all questions are answered, select Submit.
- Be sure to print and save your confirmation for future reference.
If you don't register to receive a check, the more school tax years that pass the greater the increase in your school taxes will be due to the exemption amount being frozen at the 2019 value.
Resources for Questions Registering for STAR Exemption
- NYS STAR Hotline: 518-457-2036
- Note: there may be a long wait.
- Town of Horseheads Assessor's Office: 607-739-0873