Permitting process for Photovolectric systems under 12kW
A Building Permit is required for the construction, alteration, moving, repair, and modification, demolition, in whole or in part or the change of use of any building or structure. The Town will fast-track standard residential solar installation applications that meet code and safety requirements.
The following instructions outline the procedures and requirements for obtaining a permit to install Photo-Voltaic (PV) array solar panels for systems sized 12kW or less.
1. Please review filing Instructions for Building Permits for general requirements.
2. Two (2) completed solar energy system Fast Track Solar application. (Can be found on form page of web site)
3. Two (2) sets of plans indicating the location of panels must be submitted
4. An electrical inspection is required by third party agency. Agencies are listed on web site or on back of Building Permit card.
5. A Certificate of Workers Compensation (Use form C-105.2, U-26.3 as applicable or CE-200).
6. Proof of Liability Insurance
7. For ground mounted systems, a site plan, preferably a survey map showing location of system.
8. Design professional letter stating roof system can handle proposed load.
9. Requirements of the New York State Building Code, Fire Code and Town Zoning Code must also be met.
10. Building permit fee of $75.00.
11. Application can be faxed, mailed or emailed to office. However, responsible party homeowner or installer must sign for Building Permit once it is issued.
We will provide feedback within seven (7) days of receiving an incomplete application and for complete applications we will issued within fourteen (14) days of receipt. In most instances we will try to issue permit before maximum fourteen (14) day period.
Contact Code Enforcement Office with any question at 607-739-7605 download application